January Blogathons, Classic Movies in a Cinema Near You, Stage Plays


January Blogathons

Java has found only one movie-themed blogathon beginning in January.  If you know of any more, please apprise me and I'll add its information.



31 Days of Oscar Blogathon
Entry Deadline: Jan 31st - Feb 28th
Dates: Feb 1- March 3, 2013
Hosts: Aurora from Once Upon a Screen, Paula and Kellee
Weblink:  http://onceuponascreen.wordpress.com/2012/12/26/31-days-of-oscar-blogathon/


The 31 Days of Oscar Blogathon coincides with Turner Classic Movies' month-long tribute to Academy-Award winning films.







Scenes of the Crime: Crime Film Blogathon is still open

Entry Deadline: Now

Dates:December 1, 2012 - April 30, 2013

Host(s): Furious Cinema, Criminal Movies and Seetimaar

Weblink: http://www.furiouscinema.com/2012/09/scenes-of-the-crime-crime-film-blog-a-thon-dec-1-april-30/

Any film featuring crime as a main plot point - heists, police procedures, etc. - can be reviewed.



The NostalgiaTHON is always open.
Entry Deadline: N/A
Dates November 1, 2012 -(No End Date)
Hosts: Andy Watches Movies and Cinema Schminema
Weblink: http://andywatchesmovies.com/2012/11/01/nostagliathon-blogathon-introduction/

NostalgiaTHON is a perpetual blogathon that encourages you to revisit a film that you watched in childhood and report your experience.


Classic Movies in a Cinema Near You

Cinemark presents its Classic Series beginning Jan 2nd. The following films will run nationwide:




January 2nd:  2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) -      Rated G

January 9th:   Rocky (1976)- Rated PG

January 16th: The Sound Of Music (1965)- Rated G

January 23rd:  To Catch A Thief (1955)- Not Rated

January 30th: Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969)- Rated PG

Find a cinema that is showing these films in your area by going to this website: http://www.cinemark.com/cinemark-classic-series

Stage Plays

The Heiress by Ruth and Augustus Goetz is still on Broadway. The Tony-Award-winning play is notable for many things including having been adapted into an Oscar-winning film starring Olivia DeHavilland. Click here, here and here for a discussion of the film version.

The play's engagement runs through January and ends February 10th. Here's the official website: http://theheiressonbroadway.com/

3 Comments:

  1. Great stuff, Java! I wonder if the stage version of The Heiress, particularly the end, is truer to the book than Olivia's version? I have to admit that I like the way Olivia's ended much better than the book! I don't often say that, but in this case I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you mean that in the book she resumes her stitchery "for life, as it were" and in the film, she states plainly that she will never do another piece of embroidery?

    I took it to mean, in the film, that, she's left her horrible past forever to start a new life. What's your take on it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Java, I have to say first that it has been a while since I read the book. The major difference I'm referring to is that in the book, there is no dramatic climax such as in the movie regarding Morris. The book is more realistic -- she learns to deal with the pain, sees Morris again after a few years, has become a respectable spinster whose family loves her. Other than that, I can't remember the exact book ending. What I do know is that having Catherine pretend to want him to take her away, his joy, then bolting the door in his face and doing that fabulous walk up the stairs with the candle was not in the book. But boy, it was great.

    It's strange how differently people see things, isn't it? In the movie, I saw her finishing of the embroidery piece, making that final cut with the scissors,and saying she would never do another to mean more that she was intent upon becoming even more reclusive. I don't know why that was my feeling, but there it is.

    If anybody else out there remembers the book ending better than I, I'd love to hear from them. I thought I had it in my book collection, but I don't! Darn it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your contribution to Java's Journey.

 

About Java

"Java's Journey: A really fun, informative well-written blog that explores all of the things - and I mean all - I love about classic films."-- Flick Chick of A Person In The Dark Email: java-rush@hotmail.com

JOIN JAVA'S JOURNEY

Blog Archive

Writer's Block Doesn't Stand a Chance

http://javabeanrush.blogspot.com/2015/04/100ClassicMovieBlogPostIdeas.html